Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Beuker, Henricus (1834-1900) | Heritage Hall, Hekman Library

Name: Beuker, Henricus (1834-1900)


Historical Note:

Henricus Beuker was born in Volzel, Graafschap Bentheim, 04 June 1834. He was one of nine children in a farm home where life was lived according to accepted moral standards. It was, however, through the witness of Gerrit Jan Bouws, who worked on the farm, that the Beuker family became Christian in conviction and practice.

Gerrit Bouws also led Henricus to consider the ministry of the Word as his task in life. At first he did not openly declare himself. In fact, he attempted to stifle the inner prompting of his heart. When he was twenty years old, however, he went to study in Uelzen, in Graafschap Bentheim. Finally, being assured that he must enter the ministry, he studied in Kampen under Brummelkamp, Van Velzen, and De Cock.

When he was a candidate for the ministry he accepted a call to Zwolle. Later he served in Rotterdam, 1864; Giesendam, 1867; Harlingen, 1869; and in Amsterdam, 1873. In 1881 he was called to the church in the place where he was born and served in Volzel for three years. He left Volzel for Leiden in 1884. While he had been ministering in the Netherlands, he received calls from churches in America. He finally accepted a call from the Third Christian Reformed Church in Muskegon, Michigan (Allen Avenue), which he served for one year when he was appointed by the Synod of the CRC to the Chair of Systematic and Practical Theology. After teaching for six years he passed away unexpectedly on 18 May 1900. His burial place is Graafschap, Michigan.

He was described as a man who labored well and had a strong influence for good. “He loved his work and also loved his students. . . . He had a pleasing personality and labored joyfully.”






Page Generated in: 0.039 seconds (using 111 queries).
Using 2.17MB of memory. (Peak of 2.87MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign