Log In | Contact Us
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Henry J. Kuiper (1885-1962) | Heritage Hall, Hekman Library

Name: Henry J. Kuiper (1885-1962)


Historical Note:

Henry J. Kuiper was a minister of the Christian Reformed Church. He was born on December 22, 1885 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He attended Calvin College and Seminary, graduating in 1907. Same year as his graduation he married Cornelia Freyling. Together they had two daughters: Helen and Claire.  He served in Luctor, Kansas, 1907; Prospect Park, Holland, Michigan, 1910; Second Englewood, Chicago, Illinois, 1913; Broadway, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1919; Neland Avenue, Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1929; retired, 1956.

“H. J.” served as editor of The Banner.  This he did in a part-time capacity when he began his ministry of Neland Avenue in 1929.  For fifteen years, he functioned in both capacities.  In 1944, he became the first full-time editor and continued in this ministry until 1956, the time of his retirement.  His editorial talent also involved other publications: The Witness, and The Reformed Herald.  In the period of his retirement, Rev. H.J. Kuiper was appointed managing editor of the Torch and Trumpet, in which capacity he functioned until the day of his death.  He also served as an editor of the Psalter Hymnal.

Denominational activities included serving as delegate to synod eight times (in 1936 and 1937 he served as president); member of the Chicago Board of City Missions; chairman of the Grand Rapids City Mission Board for fifteen years. He also served as second president of the Young Men’s Federation; first president of Grand Rapids Christian High School Board; and member of the Board of Trustees of Calvin College and Seminary.

A colleague wrote, “Rev. H. J. Kuiper deserves to be remembered as a man who spoke and wrote in the full conviction that what he expressed was in accordance with the Word of God and was for the spiritual welfare of our church.”

Henry J. Kuiper passed away due to illness on December 23, 1962 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.






Page Generated in: 0.045 seconds (using 113 queries).
Using 2.15MB of memory. (Peak of 2.86MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright ©2017 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign